Meaning of Culture: Culture describes a certain set of customs, ideas and social behavior of a group of similar people in a society. Geographical borders usually segregate cultures. Some characteristics like language, religion, food habits, social norms, music and arts stay specific in one particular culture.
Throughout the world, we have a variety of cultures. Cultures have been maintained from time immemorial and have been handed down from one generation to another. Cultures help people connect with each other and build communities, within the same cultural backgrounds. Individuals belonging to the same culture are usually like-minded and have the same ancestral values.
Cultural traits of a particular cultural community is preserved over time and get passed on to future generations. Cultural traits live through tide of times. Knowledge, traditions, language scripts, dress codes, etc. are some of the cultural traits that are unique to a particular region`s culture.
Culture is important to us because it defines our evolutionary identity. Culture helps us understand our ancestral values and gives us the very meaning of life. It also makes us unique from other parts of the world. When born in a particular region, we grow up by learning our regional culture and the society shapes our lives to become what we are today! Traditional culture of a community keeps us bonded forever.
Importance of preserving cultural heritage lies in the sense of belonging and unity that it offers. Cultural heritage and traditions serve to link us with our ancestors, which is valuable and should not be lost. The beliefs and laws laid down by the roots of our culture are meaningful and are for the betterment of our lives. Everything from marriage traditions to religious beliefs should be valued, in any culture. Even though times are changing now and “mixed cultures” are in fashion, effort to not let go of regional cultures are constantly carried out.
Discuss below, the top 10 reasons Why Culture is so Important.
- Ancestry: Our cultures help us gain valuable information about our ancestry. Cultural traditions are like pages in a history book which should be read with interest. Human beings do not live for eternity, but their cultures do. Cultures give us a gateway to study about our ancestors.
- Self-realization: When we study about the roots of our cultures and follow them accordingly, we get to know about ourselves much better. We can better relate to our origin and value ourselves more. It boosts our self-respect and dignity to follow our culture. It also makes us feel proud to belong to our own culture.
- Evolutionary enlightenment: Knowing our culture in-depth gives us a sneak peek into our evolution. Cultures have originated in ancient times when human beings started to live as a community. Thus, studying about our cultures and of the entire world`s is extremely interesting and it sure give us some enlightenment about ancient times. This also gives us the required clarity against all our doubts.
- Moral values: Following a culture instills moral values in us. Every culture has its share of knowledge and beliefs which make us better human beings. It makes us responsible people who can co-exist with each other in a harmonious society.
- Discipline: Cultural traditions keep us disciplined. Every culture has certain norms and laws laid down, which if followed leads to peaceful existence. The rules were made for a reason and should be followed rightly. Neglecting cultural traditions is not wise and should not be kept as an option.
- Knowledge: Detailed study about every aspect of our culture can give us profound knowledge. Cultures never demand blind followers. Everything is well explained and accounted for in history. Studying about them will make us more knowledgeable.
- Compassion: Every culture teaches us to co-exist with all the other cultures in the world. Cultural teachings always aim for peace. They teach us to live compassionately and respectfully with everyone, so that peace prevails.
- Meaning of life: Cultures teach us the real meaning of life. Every phase of our life demands different actions and our culture teaches us that. As we grow up and grow old, our culture holds our hand and directs us towards the right path.
- Safeguard future generations: Cultural traditions were made by our experienced ancestors who wanted to pass on their valued knowledge about life to every generation of mankind henceforth, to make their survival easier.
- Responsibility: Cultural traditions teach us to be responsible human beings. A culture-less and lawless human being is just another animal. Our culture and society make us be the responsible entities that we are.
Our culture should be upheld as our heritage. Nothing and no one should be allowed to attack or destroy our cultural traditions. It is always wise to remember that our cultures define our existence and make us who we are. It should be passed on generations after generation, like it has been done until now. Our cultural background should never fade into oblivion and we have to make sure of that. A world without diverse cultural will not be as colorful as it is now.